Wednesday, July 20, 2016
The Labour Party Leadership 2016
The upcoming Labour Party leadership contest will shape the Party’s future.
In the previous leadership election, GMB did not endorse any candidate. We will be consulting far and wide with our members about whether the union will endorse a candidate in this election, but to have a say you have to register as an affiliated supporter, which I encourage you to do.
The cutoff date to register with the Labour Party is noon on 8th August 2016. The details of how it all works are below, and the affiliate supporter online application is here: http://support.labour.org.uk/.
Tim Roache, GMB General Secretary
How do I vote in the Labour Party leadership contest?
Labour Party rules for the Leadership election mean that to be eligible to vote:
- You must have been a member of GMB on or before 12th January 2016
- You must be registered as an affiliate supporter of the Labour Party
How do I become an affiliated supporter?
It’s easy to become an affiliated supporter and it is absolutely free to GMB members– your affiliation fee is covered by your union subs (the political levy section). You have to:
- Sign up either by paper form (coming soon) or online, completing the whole form and not missing out any required fields. The form is here:http://support.labour.org.uk/
- Sign a statement on your paper form or online form which states that you support the aims and values of the Labour Party and confirms that you are not a supporter of any other political party.
- Be on the electoral register at the address you’ve given to GMB and and the Labour Party.
What happens when I've signed up?
The Labour Party is responsible for conducting the election for Labour Party Leader and will check all applications to be affiliate supporters against the electoral register and conduct other checks on members to ensure that they are not supporters of any other parties.
GMB will issue information to members about the leadership election throughout the election period, the Labour Party and leadership candidates will also get in touch with GMB members who are successfully accepted as affiliated supporters.
Once you’re an affiliated supporter, you remain one unless you opt out of the system.
If you would like to download a basic form for yourself or your workplace, please click here.
We are encouraging GMB members to sign up online because it saves the union time and money, and also guarantees your application will be dealt with as quickly as possible.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.